Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Chapters V - VIII Questions

Chapter V: What is Screwtape’s idea on the best way for humans to die? Why? Screwtape believes that the best way for all humans to die is when they least expect to. This is because, for some people, if they are not anticipating their death, they will not be prepared spiritually.
Chapter VI: How does “...malice thus becomes wholly real and the benevolence largely imaginary” (Lewis, 28)? How does this apply to your life? It is easier for the malice of a person to be shown to those who he/she is closest to and knows. The charitable feeling that one gets would become just that- a feeling, something that mainly exists in a person’s head. Sometimes, regretfully, when I am upset I take it out on my brother even if he has nothing to do with the reason that I am upset.

Chapter VII: How do you picture the devil? What does this chapter challenge you about regarding the spiritual warfare over your soul? I picture the devil to be a little boy around the age of five who is very cute, and sometimes as a man who looks very similar to Orlando Bloom. This chapter challenges me to be more alert about the actual spiritual warfare that is going on in this world. It also makes me think about the times when I get distracted and sometimes treat Christianity as something that I just acknowledge because I attend a Christian school where it is brought up all of the time instead of focusing on my relationship with God.
Chapter VIII: What is the “law of Undulation” (Lewis, 37)? Give an example of this in your life. The “law of Undulation” is that humans go through wavelike rises and falls in that which they are interested in and in every aspect of our lives. An example of this in my life is the time and effort that I put into my devotional time, especially when I am stressed about school or other things going on. And while I am working on it, I have noticed that the effort that I put into it fluctuates.
Chapter VIII: “Our cause is never more in danger, than when a human, no longer desiring, but intending, to do our Enemy's will, looks round upon a universe from which every trace of Him seems to have vanished, and asks why he has been forsaken, and still obeys. (Lewis 40). What are your thoughts on this? This reminds me of Job and how he, despite every terrible thing that happened to him, never turned his back on God. This seems like true dedication, when a person has tiny doubts yet still obeys and trusts God through it all.


No comments:

Post a Comment